home mise tips events recipes photography

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Buttermilk Ice Cream


Buttermilk Ice Cream and the New Ice Cream Machine

(or and the new camera!)

 

I love Ice Cream!  I know this sounds crazy, it’s the beginning of March and I see snow outside, and I’m making ice cream, getting ready for spring and summer.

Last year, I wore out my old machine!  I was making semi freddo, ice cream, sorbets, experimenting, using up leftover cream, milk, and having a blast!  My husband, he’s a purist and working on getting in shape for the Riverbank run (25K) so buttermilk ice cream wouldn’t be a favorite! ( See Jeffery, I’m thinking of you.)

I had a very small dilemma – go big, or replace the freezer bowl, and go small.  I went big (I still might replace the freezer bowl on my old machine so I can take it directly to clients!)

 

And I have a new Camera.  It’s a Nikon 3000, last year’s model to save some money – and my new adventure in picture taking.  I can accomplish a few items.

Turn it on

Turn it off

Auto

No Flash

and something called Macro.

 

It came with two videos, a huge book, and the promise of classes!  Yes, I’ll take on the classes!

The Buttermilk Ice Cream came directly from the Cuisinart recipe booklet.  It’s a custard-style ice cream and follows the straight forward custard method. 

 

Warm the cream, sugar, salt and vanilla.  Whisk egg yolks and sugar to a light pale yellow mixture.  Temper the eggs into the cream, strain to get out the “cooked egg” and whisk in the remaining cold ingredients.  Cool for at least two hours, and then turn on the machine and go!

 

The Ingredients
 

2 cups Heavy cream

1 cup granulated sugar, divided

1/8 (pinch) salt

1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

6 large egg yolks

2 cups buttermilk

 

put the cream, ½ sugar, salt and vanilla in a medium sauce pan and heat on medium low, bring just to a boil

 

While cream mixture is heating combine the yolks and remaining sugar and whisk until it is pale and thick

 

Once cream has started to simmer, temper the mixture (this means put a little hot into the yolks and whisk) and then slowly combine. Stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, this should take a few moments.

 

Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.  Whisk in the buttermilk and chill for two hours or overnight. 

 

Pour it into the machine, and set the timer for 40 minutes and you have ice cream!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment