home mise tips events recipes photography

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Northwest Apple Salad & Hearty Egg Burrito


I’ve had a busy couple of weeks.  Some of it has been relaxing, some busy, some well just overwhelming.

I have been helping my sister with my Aunt’s estate.  Overwhelming – and I only have a small piece of the “pie” so to speak, and so excited that my sister has a cookie in the Pillsbury bake off!  I’m going to bake it, take pictures and post it later on this summer, but I have so many other projects going on in the kitchen. (That news to come at a later date)

This past week I got the joy of volunteering at the KROC Center for the MSU Extensions Cooking Matters.  This particular version of the program is working with middle school teens on the basics of cooking.  Our first week has been organization and getting to know my teens.  And I’ve been told that the numbers could swell to 30 (15 each day)  so I’d best be prepared! 

Every recipe that we work on is a healthy recipe.  And it is important to get these young adults to try the food.  I remember Chef Campbell in culinary school telling us that you have to try a food numerous times, at least 13 to get your palate used to it.  Then you can form an opinion!  It’s hard to explain that to teens whose palate has been formulated by fast foods, boxed foods, and quick and easy.  I bless my mom for teaching me how to cook, and each and every time I work with someone new in the kitchen, I remember how slow and uncertain I must have been.  I didn’t realize it then, but now I do – my mom is a saint!  She had so much patience, and we always thought she didn’t!  What a few decades of perspective brings to the table!

Our teens made Northwest Apple Salad and Hearty Egg Burritos giving them the chance to use knifes, skillets, the stove top and EAT!

 

Northwest Apple Salad

 

2 medium Granny Smith Apples
2 tablespoons dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, or currants)
3 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon whole, shelled walnuts
1 Tablespoon honey
 

Rinse and remove cores from apples.  Do not peel.  Cut into 1 inch pieces.  Place in medium bowl.  Add dried fruit and yogurt to bowl.  Mix well.

In a small Skillet over medium heat toast nuts until golden brown and fragrant.  Watch closely, so they do not burn.  Remove from pan and let cool.

Chop cooked nuts with a knife.  Add chopped nuts to bowl and add honey.  Toss and serve.

Hearty Egg Burritos

3 green onion
1 medium red or green bell pepper
1 medium clove garlic
2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
1 (15 ½ ounce) can black beans no salt added
1 teaspoon canola oil
4 large eggs
¾ teaspoon ground cumin divided
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
non stick cooking spray
4 (8 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
¼ cup fresh cilantro

 

Rinse green onions and bell pepper.  Peel garlic clove.

Slice green onions.  Remove core and dice bell pepper.  Mince garlic

If using fresh cilantro, rinse and chop leaves now

Grate Cheese

In a colander, drain and rinse beans

In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil, add beans, green onions, bell pepper, and garlic.  Cook until peppers are soft, about 3 minutes.  Add ½ teaspoon ground cumin and black pepper.  Transfer mixture to a plate.

In a small bowl, crack eggs.  Add remaining ¼ teaspoon cumin.  Beat mixture lightly with a fork.

Wipe out skillet with a paper towel .Coat with nonstick cooking spray.  Heat at medium-low.  Add egg mixture.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are firm as you like.  About 3- 5 minutes.  If using cilantro add now.

Soon egg mixture into center of each tortilla, dividing evenly.  Add beans and veggies.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  If using yogurt, add a dollop to each tortilla.  Fold over mixture and serve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment