home mise tips events recipes photography

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Quiona Salad


Quiona Salad

I love Quiona.  It’s a simple and hearty seed.  Complex protein, nourishing, and now it’s a very “cool” new/old food.  I’ve been using it for years. 

It’s been a busy couple of weeks for me, as I’ve been fully engaged in my personal/chef catering business the infamous “tuxedo junction catering” and have struck out on my own and I’ve been helping my sister out, with my Aunt’ Mary’s estate

A good friend of mine Wayne, his daughter just got married, and I mean just – last night and I got the privilege of doing the rehearsal dinner.  It was a barbecue out on the pavilion of Tyler Creek Golf Course – so it was a bit rustic, and I wanted it to be as special as I could make it.  The Bride – Tara – told me she loved asparagus and could I incorporate that into something?

Our menu was burgers, brats, and chicken.  I wanted some fresh salads to go with that, (at least a bit healthy before the big day ) and cookies( her favorite are oatmeal raisin) and brownies- oh and some fresh watermelon.

 
 

I found out that day that they had been eating left over hamburgers from a bridal party/shower all week!  Boy, I was glad I had that chicken for them!  It was a group of about 30 people, and when you are catering in the country, you want to have everything possible, there isn’t a kitchen to go running to!

To my surprise the hit of the evening:  The Quiona Salad!  It's the one in front!

 

2 cups cooked Quiona (be careful, the tiny seeds can get everywhere) – you cook it like rice – 2 parts water to 1 part Quiona.

1 14 ounce can black beans – rinsed thoroughly

1 small red onion diced

1 large bunch asparagus – blanched and cut into small pieces

Salad dressing of your choice – I used a fat free tomato basil!

Combine.

 

Yes – that was it!  Just a simply easy salad, sometimes it’s the simple that makes it so good.  The funny part – if I didn’t just write this down and someone asked me about it 6 months from now – I’m not sure I’d remember what I put in it.  You can use anything that you like!  garbanzo beans instead of black beans, green beans instead of asparagus, no onion, white onion, almonds, your favorite salad dressing, or make one!  It’s endless.

 
Trent's Mom Brought beautiful flowers for the occassion!  It was a lovely touch to the buffet table!  Thank you Mom!


I hope you try this New/Old seed.  It’s been around for years, and it’s a complete protein.  It’s a great way to feed a vegetarian/vegan or sneak one of those into the daily meals without anybody knowing, unless the read this blog!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment