home mise tips events recipes photography

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Deep Fried Asparagus


Deep Fried Asparagus

 


Its asparagus season here in West Michigan!  I Love ASPARAGUS!  A client of mine wrote:

 

Hi Terri

You should try this.

This is an awesome appetizer at Joe's Stone Crab. I tried to duplicate at home and can't come close to the amount of Panko breading that I can get to stick when frying in a thin layer of olive oil. It is then rolled in the asiago.

 

Any ideas?

Thank you very much


Wayne Walkotten

 

The challenge was on.  I got close, it’s a lot harder to bread, fry, roll and photograph asparagus when you are cooking, and well, Wayne’s wife Kelly is an award winning photographer, and let’s say I was a bit nervous.  I’m close, not quite what they had but I think very close.  The difference:  Professional grade fryers at the restaurant compared to my little home fryer.

 

Here’s what I did.  I blanched my asparagus.  This technique is used to firm or soften your vegetables and to set the color.  Bring a large pot of salted water to boil – for once, I was a bit short on the salt – when it comes to a boil drop your asparagus in, bring back to a boil for about 1 minute, and then immediately immerse into ice cold water to stop the cooking process.

 



I then set up a standard breading station, seasoned flour (with s&p, aka salt and pepper) an egg wash, 1 beaten egg with water, and the panko.  Next time I’m going to add the cheese to the panko.  Wayne thought it was rolled in asiago but I’m not sure.

 





I put several pieces of asparagus into the flour, then to the egg mixture, and then rolled it in the panko, pressing firmly. 

 


First batch test fried!  A little weak on the coating, but tasty!

 

The second batch, I did a “double dip” – I started with the egg wash, then the flour, back to the egg wash and then to the panko.  It set much nicer.  I think if I would have let the asparagus set in the refrigerator to cool, it might have adhered better.  I’m going to try that next time.

 

I then deep fried my asparagus, let it drain for about 5 seconds and rolled it in the asiago.

 


Not bad, a bit closer, needs some work.  I definitely will add the asiago/shredded cheese directly into the panko, that’s how I do Parmesan Chicken!  I think it would work.  All in All a tasty snack for the day!

 

Ingredients

Asparagus

A bit of flour with salt and pepper added

1 egg beaten with water

Panko with asiago cheese!

 

That’s it!  I hope you enjoy – let me know how it works for you!

 

I

No comments:

Post a Comment